>> I *think* it happens because I'm changing guest page tables from outside
>> (i.e. host application), and the new intel pgtable optimization bits
>> don't expect that (yes, it is a vt box).
>
> Well, the older implementation doesn't expect that either.  You can
> disable the optimization with bypass_guest_pf=0, though.

Thanks.  Using bypass_guest_pf=0 and irqchip_disable() brings things
back to -41 level of functionality.

kvm not expecting both guest and host app changing pagetables could
explain other problems I'm seeing though, so maybe i better fix that.
Long term it isn't planned to stay that way anyway, it's just handy for
proof-of-concept because userspace is very easy to hack and debug ...

thanks,
  Gerd