On 10/10/07, Avi Kivity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jun Koi wrote:

> >> It's not exposed by qemu, but you can now mmap() some file (or use SysV
> >> shared memory) and use that as guest memory.
> >>

> > OK, lets say we have 2 guest VMs share a memory, like mmap() a tmpfs
> > file (which is actually in memory). Now one writes to the memory
> > (shared file). Can we guarantee that the memory immediately updated,
> > so other will see the change immediately? Or the data might be cached
> > for a while, befere being flushed to the shared memory?
> >

> Changes are visible immediately.

OK, that is about sharing memory file. How about a shared file in
which a file is a real physical file on the host?

As far as I remember, there is a caution about sharing a file using
mmap() between 2 processes, that is: if the first process modifies the
shared file, it might take a while for the changes to be flushed from
cache to the file. That means the other process doesnt see the change
immediately.

I guess this problem affects us in this case, when we use a real
(physical) file to share between 2 VMs, correct?

Thanks,
Jun