Hello all,

2 months ago, I had a discussion [1] on this Mailing-List with Haydn
Solomon and Wes Felter about KVM and the raging competition on the
hypervisor market.

I am perfectly aware that this is a technical Mailing-List so I'll try
to cut the business crap short, but still I think every company is
presently trying to have their solution be "The Hypervisor" present on
the hardware by default:

Since the discussion, phoenix has announced that they would make a
"BIOS hypervisor", Sun and Oracle announced their own hypervisors
based on Xen and last week Microsoft announced that they will sell
Hyper-V (the new name for their viridian hypervisor) as a stand alone
product for only 28$ [3].

As a sysadmin, I hate not having choice or being forced to use a
broken design just because "it's here". I strongly believe in KVM and
think it's the cleanest design available at the moment, and I'm sure
most of the people on this ML also do.

So, I took a moment to build an embedded distribution based on KVM
that I codenamed "endemics" [4], because I would really like to see
KVM present everywhere. This distribution is build using only
opensource and will always be opensource.

I have a beta3 image of my first release [5] that I consider mature
enough to be publicly announced here, even though this release is 64
bits only.

What I need now is testing on as many platforms as possible, and test
reports so I know what need to be improved or fixed.  Testing
shouldn't take you too long: just download the disk image, copy it to
an usb key and boot your usual kvm box on this key! No installation
required!

I hope you will find this project useful and will find time to help me
improving it by testing!

Best regards,
Gildas
--