On Wednesday 19 December 2007 17:52:01 Zhang, Xiantao wrote:
>               KVM/IA64 HOWTO
> This is the notes about how to enalbe kvm on Itanium series of
> processors
> suppoting VT. Since fully userspace built is not supported yet, so we
> have to
> build qemu, and kernel module separately.
> The step-by-step is as following:
>
> Kernel module built:
>
> Download kvm source tree.
> 1. Apply kernel.patch to your kernel source.
> 2. Make menuconfig to enable virtulization support in kernel.
> 3. Build and install kernel. Reboot with new kernel.
> 4. Insert kvm.ko kvm-intel.ko to kernel.

kvm-intel is the name of the module fox x86-intel. Do we have a collision
here? Or is this supposed to load the x86 one on x86 and ia64 one on  ia64?

OK, I just saw your patches for Kconfig and Makefiles and we use
CONFIG_KVM_INTEL for ia64 as well as x86. We should separate out these two
before we run into troubles.

> Userspace built:
>
> 1. Download kvm-userspace source.
> 2. ./configure

./configure --with-patched-kernel in case you want to use the modules from the
kernel that was built as mentioned above.

> 3. cd kernel
> 4. make sync LINUX= "Your kvm kernel source directory."

This step isn't needed if you build and install the kernel and plan to use the
same modules. This is only needed if you want to upgrade kvm without
upgrading the kernel or rebooting.