>> 4. Insert kvm.ko kvm-intel.ko to kernel.
>
> kvm-intel is the name of the module fox x86-intel. Do we have a
> collision here? Or is this supposed to load the x86 one on x86 and
> ia64 one on  ia64?
>
> OK, I just saw your patches for Kconfig and Makefiles and we use
> CONFIG_KVM_INTEL for ia64 as well as x86. We should separate out
> these two before we run into troubles.

It shouldn't have any confilicts, since they belong to different archs.
Currently, you know source code is placed at arch/{$arch}/kvm, and
Makefile and Kconfig aslo there.
So, it doesn't impact any issues, since ia64 and x86_64 are totally
different archs.  For example, you can define HAS_IO_PORT macro for ia64
and x86, but they don't invoke any conficlts.:)

>> Userspace built:
>>
>> 1. Download kvm-userspace source.
>> 2. ./configure
>
> ./configure --with-patched-kernel in case you want to use the modules
> from the kernel that was built as mentioned above.

>> 3. cd kernel
>> 4. make sync LINUX= "Your kvm kernel source directory."
>
> This step isn't needed if you build and install the kernel and plan
> to use the same modules. This is only needed if you want to upgrade
> kvm without upgrading the kernel or rebooting.

I think it should be necessary, since some common header files are need
to sync to userspace, such as kvm.h, kvm_para.h :)

Xiantao