Laurent Vivier wrote:
> Le mardi 15 janvier 2008 à 23:54 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange a écrit :

>>> There are two reasons:
>>>
>>> 1- I didn't know kpartx (thank you for the tip)
>>>
>>> but using loop device, you will be able to use all partition tables
>>> known by the kernel (acorn,  atari,  efi,  karma,  mac, osf, sun,
>>> ultrix, amiga, ibm, ldm, msdos, sgi, sysv68), whereas kpartx can use
>>> only partition tables it knows (bsd, dasd, dos, mac, sun, efi, sun,
>>> unixware).
>>>
>> This is an argument for extending kpartx to cope with the other
>> partition tables :-)  I have 50/50 split between VMs using files
>>

> Good try... but IMHO, I think it is better to let the kernel decode the
> partition table...
>

>> vs VMs using LVM volumes - the loop driver patches only help you
>> access partitions within a file based image, whereas kpartx can
>> access the partitions within any block device, so can support
>> files (via existing loop device) & LVM vols & nested partitions.
>>

> I think you're wrong (but you seem to know the subject better than me,
> so ...): you should be able to use the modified loop device on the
> logical volume to decode partition table.
>

>>> 2- I'd like to mount qcow2 or others disk image formats, so perhaps it's
>>> easier to modify loop device driver (but perhaps you know another magic
>>> tool ?)
>>>
>> There has been some work in this area wrt to Xen - the DM-Userspace project
>> had some working code providing a device mapper target calling out to a
>> userspace daemon to handle non-raw file formats like qcow. I don't
>> know what the state of it is now wrt to upstream kernel / device-mapper,
>> or even whether it is more than just 'proof of concept', but the project
>> page is here with some info:
>>
>>   http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/DmUserspace

FWIW, I still think a userspace block device is the Right Way to support
these sort of things.  dm-userspace turned out to be difficult as device
mapper has some rather strict requirements about alignment that some
formats (like qcow) cannot satisfy.

The loop driver is a terrible base to start from as it does not preserve
data integrity.