* Ryan Harper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-02-14 08:02]:
> * Avi Kivity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-02-14 04:28]:
> > Ryan Harper wrote:
> > >I posted[1] a dmi patches a bit ago on qemu-devel for this.  There was a
> > >better solution that involved fixing up the BIOS bits (bochs and qemu).
> > >That patch is available as well on qemu-devel.  I've not see any
> > >indication of when either bochs or qemu will pick up the DMI changes.
> > >

> > I guess I'll have to pick it up.  But I prefer the BIOS version.  Can
> > you repost it?
>
> I prefer the BIOS method as well.  If we pick up anything before QEMU
> does, we should pull in that one.  It looks like it was committed[1] to
> BOCH cvs on Jan 21st.  I'll pull the BIOS and test that it works with
> QEMU cvs/KVM and see if we can get QEMU to pull in a new BIOS build and
> the QEMU changes to support DMI.
>
> 1.
> http://bochs.cvs.sourceforge.net/bochs/bochs/bios/rombios32.c?revision=1.20&view=markup

I just built bochs from cvs and dmidecode is working.  I'm not sure what
other testing is done before uploading a newer bochs BIOS in the
kvm-userspace repo, but dmidecode display the proper number of cpus and
memory as well as the BIOS release date needed for shutdown on some
kernels with APCI BLACKLIST date set.

No changes to QEMU are needed AFAICT.  I'll test with QEMU cvs can
confirm latest BOCHS and dmidecode are working there and request they
pull in a new build of BOCHS.

--
Ryan Harper
IBM Corp., Austin, Tx