hi,

> D'oh. Must have missed it. :\ Thanks! Unfortunately, it still does not work.
> Qemu crashes now as windows switches to graphics mode. Safe mode does not
> work either..

For now I'd suggest trying the following:

* download the latest qemu cvs snapshot
 > cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/sources/qemu co
qemu
 > cd qemu

* apply the patch for hw/vga_int.h and change VGA_RAM_SIZE in hw/pc.h to
16 * 1024 * 1024 (16MB)

* configure, make and install qemu
 > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/qemu-cvs && make (use whatever prefix
you like)
# make install (as root)

* download, configure, make and install kqemu (optional, but highly
suggested)
 > wget http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/kqemu-1.3.0pre11.tar.gz
 > tar -xzf kqemu-1.3.0pre11.tar.gz
 > cd kqemu-1.3.0pre11
 > ./configure && make
# make install (as root)

* copy the modified vgabios.bin to the qemu dir
 > wget http://www.wina.at/vgabios.bin
# cp vgabios.bin /usr/local/qemu-cvs/share/qemu (as root; change to
target path according to the prefix you used above)

* start your vm image as usual, but use /usr/local/qemu-cvs/bin/qemu
instead of qemu/kvm.

if kqemu does not work, reading the documentation
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/kqemu-doc.html
might help.

Please test it that way. If it works, it should be possible to make it
working with kvm as well.

cheers,
Andi