Anthony Liguori provided patches that allowed booting from SCSI disks
back in December of 2005.  He also reported the following:

> I have successfully booted Linux, Win2k, and WinXP from SCSI with
> this patch.  Windows takes a bit of prep work to be able to boot from
> SCSI. For win2k, you just need to make sure you have the right driver
> installed.  WinXP, however, seems to require that it be installed on
> SCSI to boot from SCSI.  If anyone knows how to modify WinXP after
> the fact, please let me know.

I think I figured it out for both Windows XP and 2003 server.  It's
pretty straight forward.

1. Create a new HD image.  It doesn't have to be very big (8 MB will
   do) and you don't have to format it.

2. Start the Windows VM and add this second hard drive to the VM:

   qemu-system-x86_64 -m 256 -hda hda.img \
     -drive file=new.img,if=scsi,bus=0,index=0,media=disk,boot=off ...

   At this point, Windows should start, find the new drive, and install
   all the drivers for it.

3. Shut down the VM.  This time, don't include the new temporary image
   from step 1 and define your disk(s) as SCSI disks:

   qemu-system-x86_64 -m 256 \
     -drive file=hda.img,if=scsi,bus=0,index=0,media=disk,boot=off ...

   At this point, the Windows VM should boot from the SCSI drive without
   a blue screen.  Verify that the drive is now a SCSI disk by going to
   the Device Manager and making sure the model of the hard drive
   includes the word SCSI.

That's it.  If anyone can attest to this procedures and report, it would
be greatly appreciated.

Along those lines, if anyone knows how to grab an existing Windows VM
that was set up in VMware and make it run in Qemu (KVM), I would
really, really appreciate it.  Everytime I try I get blue screens. :-(

--
Alberto Treviño
[EMAIL PROTECTED]