For BOOKE_HV mtspr/mfspr would get mapped to hardware maintained guest shadow
copies.
For example guest access to dear would get mapped to gdear and wouldn't trap

> "and these functions will return the wrong result if called for them in
> another context (such as debugging)."
>  1) So do you mean that guest is not supposed to access these registers
> in normal scenario but the debugger (some command on gdb in guest) can
> access these register? then does it make sense to treat mtspr() as nop
> and mfspr returns 0/undefined?

Actually, in a normal scenario (For BOOKE_HV) guest (MSR[GS] = 1) would be able
to directly access these registers
without hypervisor intervention. However I am not sure under what condition
would the guest access generate a trap, all
guest accesses would be with MSR[GS]=1.

-Varun