On 02/18/2013 06:04:51 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
Can you tell us why mpic should be in kernel? Is it used often by modern guests or may be they prefer MSI for interrupt delivery (hmm may be MSIs
are delivered through mpic too)?

Yes, MSIs are delivered through the mpic.

Plus, MSIs are only (normally) for PCI(e). We have embedded "system on a chip"s with important non-PCI devices, which cannot use MSIs.

On x86 we actually would've preferred
to move PIC/IOAPIC form the kernel and leave only LAPIC there (but for
historical reasons creation of PIC/IOAPIC/LAPIC are bundled together)
hence my question.

We don't have that same split on this hardware. MPIC is one device that covers all of it. Some of the functionality is per-CPU, but it is not easily extracted from the rest.

-Scott