Sukanto Ghosh wrote:
Hi all,

I have two questions regarding KVM:

i) Is a VCPU scheduled like a normal Linux process

A normal process.

or there is some mechanism by which performance guarantees can be provided to the VCPUs ?

FWIW, there are various mechanisms to do scheduler tuning in Linux. cpusets and cgroups both provide mechanisms to ensure "performance guarantees".

ii) Who does the allocation of host physical memory to the guest, is it KVM module or the associated QEmu process ?

The QEMU process allocates the memory via malloc().

Also, I would be glad if you can provide me pointers to some documentation/paper/literature which discusses KVM in greater detail than what the paper "kvm: The Linux Virtual Machine Monitor" presents.

The only other reference is the code itself.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Thanks,
Sukanto