Jun Koi wrote:
Hi,

Could anybody explain a bit about kvmtrace? I cannot find any doc on
it anywhere.

- Is there any short usage instruction for kvmtrace?
I don't know if there is an official doc yet, but you can just start with the simple version like:
  ./kvmtrace -o outfile -w 5
which traces for 5 seconds to outfile.*

After that you can cat that file and pipe it to kvmtrace_format which converts it to a readable file:
  cat outfile.kvmtrace.0 | ./kvmtrace_format formats

formats is a simple file defining how to present the trace records.

- Which kind of data kvmtrace can collect?
Due to the structure of the "formats" file (lockated in kvm-userspace/user/formats) this is also a list of the event types currently tracked - it is readable ascii and lists event+additional data reported.

Both kvmtrace (c) & kvmtrace_formats (python) are not very big (yet) so if you want to go further just look into the code. While I'm sure that it will grow in complexity in the future it's clearly arranged and easy to read atm.

Many thanks,
Jun

GrĂ¼sse / regards, Christian Ehrhardt
IBM Linux Technology Center, Open Virtualization