On 12/07/2008, at 12:15 AM, Thomas Mueller wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:50:41 -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:

I don't quite following what you are saying.  Are you saying that
OpenSolaris no longer supports the SCSI card we emulate?  That seems
unfortunate on their part. I would also be surprised by that since the same SCSI implementation is used by Xen and Sun is heavily invested in
OpenSolaris for Xen at this point.

i can also confirm that OpenSolaris 2008.05 AMD64 says "Driver missing!"
for the  Qemu (LSI Logic 53c895a) SCSI card.

- Thomas

I did some more digging. The symhisl driver definitely seems to have been dropped from OpenSolaris 64bit versions. See this post: http://osdir.com/ml/os.solaris.solarisx86/2004-12/msg00179.html While this isn't "official" looking it fits with the evidence i.e. the symhisl driver seems to be no more in the 64bit world.

Anyway the point being this effects the following scsi chipsets:
LSI Logic SYM53C895A, SYM53C1010-33, and SYM53C1010-66 SCSI I/O processors
where QEMU/KVM emulates the SYM53C895A (as I understand it)

The glm driver is still distributed. This driver supports the following scsi chipsets: LSI 53c810, LSI 53c875, LSI 53c876, LSI 53c896 and LSI 53c1010 SCSI I/ O processors VMWare supports the 53c1010 so it is fine with scsi images/drives under OpenSolaris

Conclusion:
Since this was all driven by my interest in ZFS my wrap up comes from that angle: As it stands if you want to experiment with ZFS using OpenSolaris under KVM you need to use IDE which means you can only play with up to 4 disks. Enough for PoC work.

If you want to use KVM to run an OpenSolaris VM that directly manages 4+ physical disks plus a boot img then you are probably stumped as KVM's scsi isn't supported under OpenSolaris or its derivatives like Nexus. Plus 4 IDE devices will not give you the 5+ devices you need.

I have tried the FreeBSD7 path and while I can get scsi working, the ZFS implementation in that OS is so new it seems to be pretty fragile. I can consistently get it to die (i.e. KVM seg faults) under either scsi or ide disks, and I have tuned ZFS a number of ways per instructions.

On the plus side I have been running 6 Ubuntu JEOS VMs under KVM for a wee while now and it is working VERY VERY well. I continue to resist moving to VMWare. :-)

As always if some kind soul can show I have missed a trick please let me know. I am still rather keen on getting that ZFS NAS working. I just can't justify buying new/more h/w to do it.

Cheers,
James.