I do not know if this is a bug in qemu or the linux kernel sym53c8xx
module (I haven't had the opportunity to test with anything other than
Linux at the moment) but if one starts an qemu instance with -m 4096
and larger the scsi emulated disk fails in the Linux guest.

If booting any install cd the /dev/sda is seen as only 512B in size
and if booting an ubuntu 8.04-amd64 with the secondary drive as scsi
it is seen with the correct size but one cannot read not write the
partition table.

Is there anyone out there that could test say a Windows image on scsi
with 4GB or more of RAM and see if it works or not? If so it could be
the linux driver that is faulty.

/Henrik Holst