I have been trying to use kvm to do some microcontroller programming,
mostly with success - until I want to send an ascii NULL down the port.
(I don't know what's going on there, but if you have any ideas, that would be
fantastic)Our communication protocol is very touchy about speeds, so the
baud rate was being passed on correctly when I used qemu/kvm like this:
kvm <irrelevant options> -serial /dev/ttyUSB0
(I'm using a usb-serial converter). You can have up to 4 COM ports by repeating the -serial "device" option. See the qemu man page for more details (yes, it works
just the same when you're invoking it with kvm).

If you're trying to use virt-manager, then don't.
Virt-manager stops you from having access to a bunch of the underlying features of kvm/qemu such as serial ports. I'm told they're working on it, but it's only useful
for a basic setup at the moment.

Michael