When userspace support for device assignment is merged, we will finally have full support for device assignment. Unfortunately, many users won't be able to test or use device assignment, since very few actually run development kernels. The first stable kernel with enough iommu support for kvm will be 2.6.28, released in about three months, and distros are even further away.

We can fix this fairly simply by having an external module for the iommus, much like kvm itself. I don't think it should be too difficult, and it will provide a lot of testing to us, and important functionality for our users.

Anyone willing to pick this up?