Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 03:45:33PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:

We can fix this fairly simply by having an external module for the
iommus, much like kvm itself.  I don't think it should be too
difficult, and it will provide a lot of testing to us, and important
functionality for our users.

The problem is that if we want to enable DMA translation for a given
device, we have to do it before it has any outstanding DMAs. As long
as you have a device that you want to enable translation for as
built-in, you'll need the IOMMU built-in as well, or will need to
reset the device when you load the IOMMU. That's why all IOMMUs are
currently built-in.

This is for using with kvm as an external module, so there is no question of a built in device. It's purely for older kernels; I'm not calling for modular iommus.