Avi Kivity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>>> I think I will get flamed if I try to pull to the core a bunch of code
>>> that always lived in the KVM module.  8)
>>>

>> Why is KVM modular anyway?  That seems like some pretty core cpu
> functionality...
>>

> Many reasons.  Developers like the ability to rmmod and modprobe during
> development.  Distros like to keep their non-modular core small.  There is an
> external module distribution that allows users to graft a new kvm on an old
> kernel, which our testers and bleeding edge users like.  Because it's there.

Most of the reason I was wondering is that the cpu hardware probing
largely seems to be a duplicate of what we have in the core for
probing cpu capabilities already, and could likely be made smaller
by building upon the existing codebase.

> svm can writeback into memory at odd times if we don't do this, and the cost
> is
> small - clear a bit in EFER.  There's no reason to be lazy.

Especially if we can clear that bit unconditionally (when
EFER is present) I'm all for it.

Eric