Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
3. Create a root mode bloat framework

4. Enter vmx root mode when the first user opens /dev/kvm and leave it
when nobody uses it any more?

Also note that there has been some discussion on lkml to move vmx-root
on/off out of the kvm module into the kernel.  There are a few places
where it would be useful for the kernel to handle that without the kvm
module being involved, crashdump kexec for example.  With that and some
locking in place (so only one can use vmx-root at a time) and
hypervisors being friendly to each other and grab vmx-root only when
they have a guest to run we should be set

That means that although kvm is loaded it may be unable to service /dev/kvm... something I'd like to avoid.