I do a fresh install of Windows vista on qcow2 which works
perfectly.  Thereafter I use that image as a backing file
to make all kinds of updates to Vista, and all that works
perfectly too.

Then I use 'qemu-img commit' to commit all the changes I've
made to Vista.  The problem is that the updated base image
doesn't work quite right if I try to run Vista from it --
there are minor malfunctions which indicate that the commit
was incomplete or maybe just wrong.

Does this sound like a bug, or are my expectations wrong?

Thanks.