"Michael S. Tsirkin" <m...@redhat.com> wrote on 27/11/2013 12:29:43 PM:

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 11:49:03AM +0200, Abel Gordon wrote:

PM:

> > 08:05:00

> > which
> > forum:

> > across

> > thread

> > also

> > idle
> > scenarios
> > have
> > threads

> > enable

> > you

> > belonging

> > > These are kind of uncommon though.  In fact a kernel thread is not a
> > > unit of isolation - cgroups supply isolation.
> > > If we had use_cgroups kind of like use_mm, we could thinkably
> > > do work for multiple VMs on the same thread.

We
> > belong

> > > I'm a bit concerned about interface managing specific
> > > threads being so low level.
> > > What exactly is it that management knows that makes it
> > > efficient to group threads together?
> > > That host is over-committed so we should use less CPU?
> > > I'd like the interface to express that knowledge.
> > >

> > We can expose information such as the amount of I/O being
> > handled for each queue, the amount of CPU cycles consumed for
> > processing the I/O, latency and more.
> > If we start with a simple mechanism that just enables the
> > feature we can later expose more information to implement a policy
> > framework that will be responsible for taking the decisions
> > (the orchestration part).
>
> What kind of possible policies do you envision?
> If we just react to load by balancing the work done,
> and when over-committed anyway, localize work so
> we get less IPIs, then this is not policy, this is the mechanism.

(CCing Eyal Moscovici who is actually prototyping with multiple
policies and may want to join this thread)

Starting with basic policies: we can use a single vhost thread
and create new vhost threads if it becomes saturated and there
are enough cpu cycles available in the system
or if the latency (how long the requests in the virtio queues wait
until they are handled) is too high.
We can merge threads if the latency is already low or if the threads
are not saturated.

There is a hidden trade-off here: when you run more vhost threads you
may actually be stealing cpu cycles from the vcpu threads and also
increasing context switches. So, from the vhost perspective it may
improve performance but from the vcpu threads perspective it may
degrade performance.