2011/11/19 Eike Rathke <er...@redhat.com>

> Hi,
>
> some Slavic languages and Russian and Greek (afaik) use possessive
> genitive case month names when used in conjunction with the day of
> month. For this I added support in the i18n framework and number
> formatter. There's a new optional element <GenitiveMonths> within the
> <Calendar> element of the i18npool/source/localedata/data/*.xml files,
> following the <MonthsOfYear> element. Its content is similar to the
> already existing <MonthsOfYear> element and has <DefaultAbbrvName> and
> <DefaultFullName> elements. If the <GenitiveMonths> element is not
> specified, the content of <MonthsOfYear> will be taken. For technical
> details see also
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/i18npool/source/localedata/data/locale.dtd
>
> If localizers hurry up ;-) and provide patches to their locales' data
> files you can get it in before the 3.5 branch-off.
>
> In the past for some locales it was decided to use possessive month
> names instead of month nouns because usually they are displayed along
> with the day of month. This should be changed, effectively by renaming
> the <MonthsOfYear> element to <GenitiveMonths> and inserting a new
> <MonthsOfYear> element before with month nouns.
>
> In a recent build you can check use of month noun versus possessive
> month in the number formatter if you compiled your new locale data with
> a make in i18npool (note: execute make twice to be sure the new data is
> available, it seems that due to some shortcoming in the current makefile
> setup some dependencies are missing). If the format code contains month
> (MMM or MMMM) and day of month (D or DD) the possessive name is
> displayed, else (no D or DD code) the noun is displayed.
>
> Where exactly is this going to be used -- Calc's date-formatted cells,
Writer's date-fields, ...?
And will it be strictly one way or the other, or will users be able to
choose which form (nominative/inflected) they want in a given context?
I ask because in Estonian both forms (and more :P ) could be used,
depending on sentence.

Regards,
Mihkel of the Estonian l10n team