2011/12/31 Andras Timar <tima...@gmail.com>

> 2011/12/31 Martin Srebotnjak <mi...@filmsi.net>:
> >

 > So, Andras, will you take care of these two string-formations in the code
> > for 3.5, the one reported by Milos and the one by Mihkel? Or do we have
> > adapt our translations according to "what the author of code wanted to
> > say"? Time for 3.5 is running out I guess.
>
> I don't understand why anyone needs to adapt translations for Milos'
> example.

Well, for one, in the case of languages that don't use Title Case for menu
commands, it's not obvious that words for "Header" and "Footer" should
start with a lowercase letter there.

We have "Delete $1" and "Format $1" where $1 can be "Header" or
> "Footer". Those are STR_HEADER and STR_FOOTER from
> sw/source/ui/docvw/docvw.src and are not used anywhere else, so you
> can translate them as you need to fit into the "Delete $1" context. I
> hope the translation for "Header" or "Footer" is not different
> depending on if you delete it or if format it.

I wouldn't be so sure. In Estonian, "Delete header/footer" is "Kustuta
päis/jalus", but "Format header/footer" could be "Vorminda päis/jalus" or
"Vorminda päist/jalust" depending on entirety vs. partialness [1]. These
words just so happen to both take only 't' at the end in partitive form, so
"Vorminda $1t" would work, but there may be languages where the words
change differently.

[1] See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitive_case

As for the Insert Rows/Columns modal dialog, it was a good catch that
> needs to be fixed. But if it have been good enough for the last couple
> of years, then I don't think we need to urgently fix it in 3.5 and
> break the string freeze. Let's fix it in master. What do you think?

OK by me.

Happy new year!
Mihkel