On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Andras Timar <tima...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Release of LibreOffice 3.6 is approaching, we need to start
> translation. The amount of new or changed strings are low, compared to
> LibreOffice 3.5 there are 388 in the UI and 148 in the help, 2671
> words in total. Clearly, most of the work has been done under the
> hood, not many new UI elements have been added, not to mention help.
> On the other hand, many old, unused code lines were removed, so the
> total wordcount of the whole suite is lower than ever. I think this is
> good news from the localizers' point of view. :)
>
> My plan is the following:
> 1. This weekend I pull 3.5 translations from Pootle for the 3.5.5 RC1 release.
> 2. Then I rename LibreOffice 3.5 projects in Pootle to LibreOffice 3.6
> and update the files. At the same time I import LibreOffice 3.5
> templates and translations to a new LibreOffice 3.5 project. This way
> we migrate all history, suggestions and whatnot from 3.5 to 3.6. At
> the same time these will not be available in the new 3.5 project, but
> I don't think it is a big a problem. Please work on 3.6 translations
> at the first place, and only backport bugfixes to 3.5, just like
> developers do.

That is the basic branching plan we use on the Sugar Labs Pootle
instance.  In essence, you are freezing the old project (creating a
new project for it on Poolte) and just renaming the head project (with
all of it's commit pointers to the master branch repo).  I do suggest
doing some testing on your commit links from the Poolte UI to make
sure nothing unexpected occurred during the process.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/