Hi Michael,

On Friday, 2014-05-23 16:51:05 +0100, Michael Bauer wrote:

> 23/05/2014 15:52, sgrìobh Eike Rathke:
> >Regarding enables/disables: what I meant with disabled is actually that
> >changing the option is disabled. The "Treat empty string as zero"
> >option's value follows the "Conversion from text to number" option in
> >both cases. You can see if you play with the options;
> >
> >* set "Conversion from text to number" to "Generate #VALUE! error"
> >   => "Treat empty string as zero" is set to "False"
> >      * the option can't be changed / is disabled
> >* set "Conversion from text to number" to "Treat as zero"
> >   => "Treat empty string as zero" is set to "True"
> >      * the option can't be changed / is disabled
> >
> >This is what was meant with "follows that value". Does that clarify?
> Yes, I think so. There are two settings which have an effect on how
> empty strings are handled and if you've set one of them, it prevents
> you from setting the other. I haven't seen this in action (and I
> can't find it, must be a new addon getting integrated)

No, it's in the detailed formula calculation settings.

* open a new Calc spreadsheet
* go to Tools -> Options -> Calc -> Formula
* set "Detailed calculation settings" to Custom
* click Details

> which
> probably doesn't help but I get the feeling that this would be
> easier if we say it the other way round:
>
> If you have set "Treat empty string as zero" to either true or
> false, you cannot choose (here) if conversion of an empty string to
> a number will generate an error or if it will treat empty strings as
> zero. Otherwise this option determines how empty strings are
> treated.
>
> Does that fit?

Not really, you got the options mixed up ;-)
Following your wording it should be something like

If you have set "Conversion from text to number" to either "Generate
#VALUE! error" or "Treat as zero", you cannot choose (here) if
conversion of an empty string to a number will generate an error or if
it will treat empty strings as zero. Otherwise this option determines
how empty strings are treated.

Are we good with that?

  Eike

GPG key ID: 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Support the FSFE, care about Free Software! https://fsfe.org/support/?erack