Hi all,
Le 09/10/2017 à 10:13, Krunose a écrit :

> On 07.10.2017 10:09, Mikhail Balabanov wrote:
>> Hello,

>>> It is very simple.
>>> As I can see, Pootle has 135 languages now and some teams work offline.
>>> If someone makes ONLY ONE cosmetic change in translatable strings,
>>> everyone of 135 language teams should adopt this change.
>>>

>> As someone who translates practically alone for my language (mainly
>> stealing from my sleep), I agree that this is far from effective use of
>> volunteers’ often very scarce spare time. Saying ‘You’re volunteers so if
>> you don’t want to put up with ♥♥♥♥, we’ll wait for someone who does’
>> doesn’t seem the best stance to take.
>>
>> On the other hand, I’m also a stickler for correct typography, perfectly
>> composed layouts and such things and I think that ‘cosmetic’ changes
>> often
>> go a long way to make a product appear much more professional and
>> enjoyable
>> to work with.

>>> Why not? Assign any unused language code for source and "en" for
>>> translation.
>>>

>> This seems like an attractive option but it has problems of its own
>> (like:
>> when looking at the source, you will never be sure how the actual UI
>> looks
>> like; many teams may actually want to implement some of the changes
>> made to
>> the ‘English translation’ but they will not be notified of them and will
>> have to periodically search for such, etc.).
>>
>> OTOH, setting that particular solution aside, I’m sure that other things
>> can be done to somewhat improve the situation. For example, couldn’t some
>> mechanism be implemented to explicitly mark certain changes as ‘small’ or
>> ‘cosmetic’ so that the translations in Pootle are just marked as ‘Needs
>> work’ instead of right out deleting them? Or even better, add a new
>> status
>> specifically meaning ‘Cosmetic change’ that allows re-confirming the
>> existing translations en masse if the changes are irrelevant to them?
>
> Sometimes 'cosmetic' change could mean a difference. To me is indicative
> if string is 1) in all caps, if 2) first letter is capitalized and if 3)
> all letters are lowercased
>
> It's hard to mark what is cosmetic change from what was badly written
> before and now is corrected. Fixing bad language in template is a must
> and should not be optional.
>
> That 'Month' ~ 'month' example may not make difference for Cyrillic
> scripts but Latin scripts can and should change translation accordingly.

I agree with you that 'cosmetic' is not easy to define. And if you look
at the changes, sometimes it's a capital, sometimes a capital and a
space, sometime it's all caps, sometime a real change, so difficult to
script either or only for a handful of strings.

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier sophie.gaut...@documentfoundation.org