On 24 August 2013 14:59, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:

> Dick Groskamp wrote:
>
>> "<link href=\"text/swriter/01/**02120000.xhp\"
>> name=\"AutoText\">AutoText</**link>"
>> "<link href=\"text/swriter/01/**02120000.xhp\"
>> name=\"AutoTekst\">AutoTekst</**link>"
>>

>> As far as I know the part after "name=" is the only part inside <link
>> ... /link>  to be translated
>>

> Yes, this is correct. So: the word "name" itself stays in English, the
> value of "name" is translated, everything else stays in English.
>
> That said, I'm curious to know if we have languages where all the
> "name=..." are untranslated. Jan, is this the case for Danish? Does it work
> too? Anyway, for the accessibility reasons Regina mentioned, Italian,
> German and most other languages do translate the name, and this is the
> recommended practice. But if the only problems coming from not translating
> the name are with accessibility applications (which will still work but use
> English words) then most users won't be affected.

3.4.1 danish (I was in charge) and we did not translate a single extra
<...> in the UI. But since you have chosen to overrule the way I want to
build a danish translation community, you build the danish community and I
refrain from saying anything about how it works in 4.0.1.

You cannot speak about name= so generally, there is a big difference
between UI strings and help strings. UI strings are solely string (unless
AOO does something which I have not found), these strings are NOT
interrelated, and you can change all name= to "whatanicename" if you like.

For help its a different matter, there name= is used to generate an index
(happened last time in 2009, so actually quite outdated, have a look at the
tree files in svn), but I have seen multiple script that use c_str (no
multi byte) and not utf8, so it will be interesting to see translations
that have 0x00 as the first byte of name=. My recommendation (I am just a
developer) stays the same, dont translate it for 2 good reasons:
1) Is seems nobody runs the correct scripts to update the tree files for NL.
2) It is likely to break outside the western world where double characters
is needed (utf8)

But if you prefer to make it more difficult for our newcomers, its up to
you (translate some <...> but not others), I would prefer to have stable
releases of the new languages, and then concentrate  of these really minor
details (dont forget we have chosen to release a language as soon as the UI
is translated).

Sorry to sound negative, but I prefer quality to volume, meaning I would
like our excellent and highly motivated new (and old) to transalators to
concentrate on getting the bulk translations done, before caring about
small details, which in no way (ref.  community decision UI==100% ==
release) hinders a release in their language.

Since it seems I am a minority in here, I will refrain from promoting what
correspond to the sources we actually use.

rgds
jan I.