Dick Groskamp wrote:
However, I'm not that a technician with GitHub and I don't have write access. I've looked into the Help of GitHub to learn about merging PR's, but learned that you should have write access, which I haven't.

You don't need to merge the PR. You need write access to YOUR so-called (as Github calls it) "fork" of OpenOffice, i.e., this one https://github.com/DiGro/openoffice and of course you do have write access to it.

When I make a PR I'don't have an option to merge it with older/newer ones (I think, at least I don't see it anywhere)

I meant "merge" in the sense of "putting together" (even though one of the options is to do it through git merge). See it this way if it helps to get you started: a PR is not a commit; a PR is a SET of commits; so you should make one PR out of the set of all 40 commits you did. This means the branch lives (as the 40 new ones you created) in YOUR repository and the PR contains all changes.

Regarding " and ideally removing the end-of-file newline differences" I'm not sure what you mean by that.

See here for example:
https://github.com/apache/openoffice/pull/63/commits/c544122805251db07510445167f9195d0a5a6d2c
If you scroll to the very last line, you will see what I mean. This is often an editor setting or a local git configuration.

I haven't touched the end of the files, most changes are in the beginning of files.

The editor did it for you. You need to configure your editor to respect the conventions in use. The way to do this is of course dependent on the editor.

I did notice a red mark in some files at the end though, but don't know what they mean

Indeed this is what I mean.

Regards,
  Andrea.