Adam,

On Wednesday, 4 May 2022 00:25:42 CEST Adam Lackorzynski wrote:

> On Fri Apr 29, 2022 at 00:28:10 +0200, Paul Boddie wrote:
> >
> > Thanks once again for the clarification! I suppose I should ask the more
> > general question of whether the different L4Re mechanisms are documented
> > in a manual or something of that nature. Although the reference
> > documentation covers some of the concepts, along with APIs for use by
> > applications, but not necessarily various framework-level abstractions
> > (like Remote_app_model), it would be informative to be able to read
> > something that discusses the techniques involved in building a system on
> > top of Fiasco.
>
> I'm afraid but for this particular area there's no better documentation
> I believe.

Thanks for following up again!

Currently, I am just exploring various abstractions of my own for initialising
the environment of new tasks. Previously, I had to deal with some of this when
getting Newlib to work on top of L4Re, so it isn't completely unfamiliar,
although it can be quite difficult to remember where to find the details,
especially given that it has been a couple of years or longer since I last
looked at this. Since I seem to have program arguments working, I think I must
be doing something right!

The present situation still involves having a pager in the "parent" task also
acting as a simple region mapper, sending flexpages corresponding to parts of
allocated and populated memory regions in the parent to the "child" task as it
encounters page faults. This allows the different segments of the payload to
be exposed to the child task and for the code/data to be loaded in on demand,
as expected.

What I probably want to do, I think, is to deploy such code within the child
task so as to be able to take advantage of defining receive windows and then
requesting mappings from dataspaces directly. Then, I imagine that I would
start a separate thread for the actual program to be run, with it configured
to use the RM in the same task as its pager. I imagine that would then mostly
reproduce what the l4re_kernel (l4re program) is doing.

So, there is still some work to be done, I think, but progress is being made.
Thanks once again for the help!

Paul