From: Suzanne Thompson
To: Ed Pearl
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 12:00 PM
Subject: Re:SUGGESTION: Primary Recommendations, weekend Calendar

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Friends:

As many of you know, I have been fighting to save Lincoln Place for several
years now.  While we are still in there fighting, we have not had the
support we should have had from the LA City Attorney and the judicial
system.  In fact, we have been undermined by both.

Therefore, at this election time, I respectfully ask that you vote against
the following individuals:

(1) Rocky Delgadillo, who is running for State Attorney General, has taken
bribes from slum landlords according to the LA Times and I personally, have
found his office to not enforce the laws of the City of LA.  He is a
terrible City Attorney, don't let him also be a terrible Secretary of State.

(2)  Judge Dzintra I. Janavs, who is an incumbent Judge in the Superior
Court in downtown LA.  We at Lincoln Place have been before this judge
several times and she is capricious, arrogant, righteous, does not do her
homework by reading the briefing materials, and is one sided in favor of
"the big guys" in this city.  Unfortunately,  she and Judge Yaffe, another
ultraconservative, are the only two judges in this City who you can go to
for an injunction, which prevents justice in our City.  It is time for her
to retire.

Please pass this on to your friends.  Many of you have not personally been
in situations where the judicial system is corrupt and unfair.  But I have.
Help remove these two people now.

Thank you for listening.

Jan

Dear Friends,

Democrats - including Ted Lieu, who represents Venice - and Republicans in the
state Assembly combined yesterday to defeat of AB 2562. This bill, which
proposed quite moderate changes to slow down (but not stop) displacement of
tenants by condo conversions, passed the Assembly Housing, Local Government and
Appropriations committees on party line votes, then failed on the Assembly
floor with just enough Democrats abstaining or voting no for it to fail by a
vote of 38 to 40 with 2 abstentions.

More specifically, the bill would have clarified the required notices to
tenants and when they must be given, forbid construction to remodel converted
properties until after the final map is recorded (a step in the conversion
process that is typically not done until just before the units are ready to
sell, and often can't be done until then), and raise the penalties for
landlords who don't provide tenants the required notices (moving expenses and
first month's rent of a new unit, currently capped at unrealistic maximums of
$500 each, would get more realistic caps of $1000 and $1500).

All the Republican members of the Assembly voted against the bill, as did
Democrats Ted Lieu, Joe Baca, Ronald Calderon, Ed Chavez, Jerome Horton,
Barbara Mathews, Gloria Negrete McLeod, and Nicole Parra. Joe Canciamilla and
Juan Vargas abstained.

I hope that all of you who care about tenant rights, stopping evictions and
saving affordable housing will join me in supporting Karl Abrams who is running
against Ted Lieu. Karl wants to repeal the Ellis and Costa-Hawkins Acts
(anti-rent control), and use state funds to buy Lincoln Place.

It's time for a Tenant Revolt!

Jim Smith

---