Hi.  The first sentence in this essay resonates on more than the gist
of the article. At a party yesterday, a friend/reliable attorney said she'd
researched and learned there are 2 million uncounted provisional and
mail-in ballots in California alone. This includes me...and her - enough
to significantly change electee results as well as propositions - across
the country.  If so, it's more than puzzling why the Democratic Party isn't
making this a major issue. Any information on this is most welcome. Oh,
I'd changed to Green. My old registration had been eliminated but the new
one wasn't yet listed on the registration roll. Why these ballots still lie
around with so much at stake seems preposterous.

Ed

http://www.truthout.org/111108J

Guns or Butter?

by: Steve Weissman,
t r u t h o u t: November 11, 2008

   If state officials across the country ever count all the absentee and
provisional ballots, Obama's popular vote might equal his landslide victory
in the Electoral College, adding weight to his overwhelming mandate to fix
the economy, end our dependence on foreign oil, create green jobs, provide
health care and mend our broken schools. But how much will all our votes
count if, at a time of reduced resources, the Obama administration allows
foreign conflicts to sink his promises on the home front?

    Warfare or health care - this could become the defining choice for the
new president, far more decisive than whether he will govern from the left
or the center. Will Obama keep America's military commitments and military
spending in check? Or will he see his best hopes for America lost in an
ever-deepening quagmire in Afghanistan, an unnecessary war with Iran and an
absurd arms race with the Russians?

    Afghanistan and the frontier areas of Pakistan could prove Obama's
biggest test. During his presidential campaign, he strongly advocated
sending in more troops, arguing that we had to finish the war against
al-Qaeda that George W. Bush had abandoned in his rush to war against Iraq.
This allowed Obama to defend withdrawing troops from Iraq without sounding
like a dove, especially when he added that he would attack Osama bin Laden
in Pakistani even if the Pakistanis refused to give us permission.

    Now, the crunch has come. In both Afghanistan and Pakistan, the Taliban
are showing new strength and the small escalation that Obama wanted looks
like only a down payment on a major, ongoing commitment of blood and money.
Worse, no one who knows anything about Afghanistan believes that a foreign
military occupation has any chance of success. To the contrary, the more
troops and inevitable killing of civilians, the more the country's Pashtun
majority will turn to the Taliban as their national saviors.

    So, why play out a losing hand? Obama's answer is that we need to finish
off Osama bin Laden and deny al-Qaeda a sanctuary from which to plan future
terrorist attacks? Think that through. Making a martyr of Osama will hardly
reduce the very real threat of Islamist terrorism, while our current effort
could easily drive a nuclear Pakistan into chaos. In any case, those who
attacked us on 9/11 did most of their planning in Hamburg, Germany, throwing
into question whether remote sanctuaries are the key to the terrorist
problem.

    For Obama and the rest of us, a better strategy might be to stop
thinking like would-be warriors, relying instead on our security services to
stop the terrorists while greatly reducing our military footprint in Muslim
lands. Add to that an unstinting effort to forge a peace settlement between
Israel and the Palestinians, and the Osama bin Ladens of this world will
find dwindling support for their blood-thirsty jihad.

    Iran poses a different kind of problem, and one that Obama handled at
his first press conference with less than his normal aplomb. Asked how he
would respond to Iranian president Ahmadinejad's congratulatory message, he
stiffly parroted the current policy that an Iranian nuclear weapon and their
support of terrorist groups were "unacceptable." So they are. But Obama
would have done much better to smile broadly and say that he had received
many nice messages from foreign leaders and would reply to them all in due
course.

    The catch here is that Tel Aviv, the American Israel Political Action
Committee and the neocons are trying to force Obama into a corner from which
they can push him into a military strike on Iran. His response only
encouraged them in their effort while sending Ahmadinejad into another
useless tirade. Neither helps deter a disaster in the making.

    On one last threat, Obama did much better. Russian President Dmitri
Medvedev repeated last week his threat to place nuclear missiles on the
border with Poland if the United States insisted on placing anti-missile
missiles in that country. Here were the seeds of a costly new nuclear arms
race that would benefit neither Russia nor the United States. Obama
responded with a simple statement from an adviser that the president-elect
had made "no commitment" to plans for a missile defense program in Eastern
Europe.

    Obama and his team clearly understood the importance of reducing
tensions with Russia without needlessly brandishing our military might.
Hopefully, they will similarly come to see that "keeping all options on the
table" militarily threatens Iran and encourages those Iranians who think
they need nuclear weapons to defend their country. That sending more troops
into Afghanistan will only fuel a nationalistic resistance. That sending
rockets into Pakistan's frontier lands will turn Ahmed No-Pack against his
own government. And that all these foreign conflicts will take resources
away from the domestic changes Obama has promised American voters.

    Not being an isolationist or pacifist, I understand the need for
overseas military action in some situations. But having learned from the war
in Vietnam, I also understand the limits of military force against people
who do not want to be ruled by a foreign power. That's a lesson of the 1960s
that Obama would do well to remember, especially at a time when we can no
longer afford both guns and butter.

***

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/7708670.stm

BBC NEWS   2008/11/04

Gaza residents 'terribly trapped'

A former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Mary Robinson, has told the
BBC she was taken aback by the "terrible" conditions in Gaza on a recent
visit.

Mrs Robinson said it was "almost unbelievable" that the world did not care
about what she called "a shocking violation of so many human rights".

Israel tightened a blockade on Gaza after Hamas took control there in 2007.

On Tuesday, Egypt temporarily opened its Gaza border to allow students and
people needing medical care to cross.

Mrs Robinson, a former president of Ireland, told the BBC she had been
"taken aback with the terrible, trapped situation of the families" in the
Gaza.

She said the situation had deteriorated since she last visited the
Palestinian territory in 2000, and was far worse that in towns in the West
Bank.

Women she spoke to said their farm lands had been bulldozed and their
families were unable to find jobs or supplies.

"Their whole civilisation has been destroyed, I'm not exaggerating," said
Mrs Robinson.

"It's almost unbelievable that the world doesn't care while this is
happening."

Criticism expected

Israel and Egypt have blockaded the overcrowded and impoverished Gaza Strip
since Hamas violently seized control of the territory in June 2007.

Israel says the blockade, under which it has allowed little more than basic
humanitarian aid into Gaza, is needed to isolate the militant group and stop
it and other militants from firing rockets into Israel.

Israel came to a truce with Palestinian groups in June this year, but Mrs
Robinson said this had had little effect on people's lives and "just brought
a bitter taste in the mouth".

She said people in Gaza were the responsibility of Israel and suggested that
ordinary Israelis did not understand the situation as they "couldn't
possibly support it if they really did".

The former commissioner called on European countries and the rest of the
world to do more to understand the "inhumane" conditions.

She said she expected that she would be criticised for her comments but that
the issue had to be addressed.

"When I see 1.4 million trapped in a situation of collective punishment,
without rights, I have to raise that, and I will go on raising it," she
said.

Crossing open

On Tuesday, Egypt temporarily opened its Rafah border with Gaza to students
and people seeking medical treatment.

The crossing has been closed for almost two-and-a-half years, but has
occasionally been opened for humanitarian reasons.

Israel insists "normal business" cannot resume at Rafah until Hamas releases
an Israeli soldier, Cpl Gilad Shalit, captured two years ago.

Earlier this year, hundreds of thousands of Gazans flooded across when the
border was breached.

Egyptian officials said the crossing was likely to be open for three days,
giving several thousand Gazans the chance to go into Egypt and bring
supplies into Gaza.

Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>