Afraid to Watch the News, Millions Turn to Fox

Channel Offers Welcome Break from Reality, Psychologists Say

NEW YORK (
<http://borowitzreport.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=49de3335c30245ecd0f
a291aa&id=5ddbabd517&e=5929d121de> The Borowitz Report) - With unprecedented
crises engulfing the world, millions of television viewers are finding the
news too stressful to watch - and are turning to the Fox News Channel
instead.

"Things are so bad in the world right now, many people are afraid to watch
the news," says psychologist Davis Logsdon, who studies the relationship
between news consumption and stress at the University of Minnesota.  "For
them, Fox News represents a welcome break from reality."

Tracy Klugian, 37, a systems analyst from Lansing, Michigan, said that he
was flipping the channels to find "anything but news" and found himself
watching Fox for the first time.

"They had this guy on - something Beck I think his name was - and he was
just going on and on, making stuff up," he said.  "I was like, this is the
kind of mindless junk I need right now."

Mr. Klugian says he now records the program and watches it every day when he
gets home for work: "For one hour at least, I know that I can kick back and
not hear anything that's going on in the world."

He said that watching Fox had also introduced him to "my favorite new
comedian - this hysterical woman named Michele Bachmann."

"She was doing this bit about how the American Revolution started in New
Hampshire, not Massachusetts, and then she started mixing up where Lexington
and Concord were," he said.  "Okay, I know it sounds really stupid, but I
almost peed myself."

Elsewhere, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said he is not worried how history
will remember him "because if I have my way, there won't be any history
teachers."

***

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/18/opinion/18krugman.html?nl=todaysheadlines&;
emc=tha212

The Forgotten Millions

Paul Krugman

NY Times Op-Ed: March 18, 2011

More than three years after we entered the worst economic slump since the
1930s, a strange and disturbing thing has happened to our political
discourse: Washington has lost interest in the unemployed.

Jobs do get mentioned now and then - and a few political figures, notably
Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic leader in the House, are still trying to get
some kind of action. But no jobs bills have been introduced in Congress, no
job-creation plans have been advanced by the White House and all the policy
focus seems to be on spending cuts.

So one-sixth of America's workers - all those who can't find any job or are
stuck with part-time work when they want a full-time job - have, in effect,
been abandoned.

It might not be so bad if the jobless could expect to find new employment
fairly soon. But unemployment has become a trap, one that's very difficult
to escape. There are almost five times as many unemployed workers as there
are job openings; the average unemployed worker has been jobless for 37
weeks, a post-World War II record.

In short, we're well on the way to creating a permanent underclass of the
jobless. Why doesn't Washington care?

Part of the answer may be that while those who are unemployed tend to stay
unemployed, those who still have jobs are feeling more secure than they did
a couple of years ago. Layoffs and discharges spiked during the crisis of
2008-2009 but have fallen sharply since then, perhaps reducing the sense of
urgency. Put it this way: At this point, the U.S. economy is suffering from
low hiring, not high firing, so things don't look so bad - as long as you're
willing to write off the unemployed.

Yet polls indicate that voters still care much more about jobs than they do
about the budget deficit. So it's quite remarkable that inside the Beltway,
it's just the opposite.

What makes this even more remarkable is the fact that the economic arguments
used to justify the D.C. deficit obsession have been repeatedly refuted by
experience.

On one side, we've been warned, over and over again, that "bond vigilantes"
will turn on the U.S. government unless we slash spending immediately. Yet
interest rates remain low by historical standards; indeed, they're lower now
than they were in the spring of 2009, when those dire warnings began.

On the other side, we've been assured that spending cuts would do wonders
for business confidence. But that hasn't happened in any of the countries
currently pursuing harsh austerity programs. Notably, when the Cameron
government in Britain announced austerity measures last May, it received
fawning praise from U.S. deficit hawks. But British business confidence
plunged, and it has not recovered.

Yet the obsession with spending cuts flourishes all the same - unchallenged,
it must be said, by the White House.

I still don't know why the Obama administration was so quick to accept
defeat in the war of ideas, but the fact is that it surrendered very early
in the game. In early 2009, John Boehner, now the speaker of the House, was
widely and rightly mocked for declaring that since families were suffering,
the government should tighten its own belt. That's Herbert Hoover economics,
and it's as wrong now as it was in the 1930s. But, in the 2010 State of the
Union address, President Obama adopted exactly the same metaphor and began
using it incessantly.

And earlier this week, the White House budget director declared: "There is
an agreement that we should be reducing spending," suggesting that his only
quarrel with Republicans is over whether we should be cutting taxes, too. No
wonder, then, that according to a new Pew Research Center poll, a majority
of Americans see "not much difference" between Mr. Obama's approach to the
deficit and that of Republicans.

So who pays the price for this unfortunate bipartisanship? The increasingly
hopeless unemployed, of course. And the worst hit will be young workers - a
point made in 2009 by Peter Orszag, then the White House budget director. As
he noted, young Americans who graduated during the severe recession of the
early 1980s suffered permanent damage to their earnings. And if the average
duration of unemployment is any indication, it's even harder for new
graduates to find decent jobs now than it was in 1982 or 1983.

So the next time you hear some Republican declaring that he's concerned
about deficits because he cares about his children - or, for that matter,
the next time you hear Mr. Obama talk about winning the future - you should
remember that the clear and present danger to the prospects of young
Americans isn't the deficit. It's the absence of jobs.

But, as I said, these days Washington doesn't seem to care about any of
that. And you have to wonder what it will take to get politicians caring
about America's forgotten millions.