Obama Endorses KXL Pipeline, Native Americans Forced to Protest from 'Cage'
Obama: indefinite 'development of oil and gas infrastructure'
- Common Dreams staff

Today, President Obama has endorsed a southern portion of the Keystone XL
pipeline. "As long as I'm president, I'm going to keep encouraging the
development of oil and gas infrastructure," Obama said in a speech in
Cushing, Okla.
 As the president spoke, Native American pipeline protesters were 'caged' miles
away from the event.
Native American activists in Oklahoma have expressed outrage at the
proposal of the pipeline as it will "desecrate known sacred sites and
artifacts" on its path to refineries in Texas, in addition to the
evident environmental degradation involved.
Local authorities have forced the activists to hold their protest in a cage
erected in Memorial Park far away from the speech. "The protestors were stunned
that their community, so long mistreated, would be
insulted in such an open manner instead of being given the same freedom
of speech expected by all Americans simply for taking a stance
consistent with their values," reports the Global Justice Ecology
Project.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/03/22-3