My mother's landlord back home had the same idea years ago, and it resulted
in an interesting twist.  The neighbour across the street ( a very busy
street, mind you) was a burly Russian fellow who couldn't stand the loud car
stereos, and applauded our landlord when he cranked up the stereo in his
third floor apartment, which resulted in whatever was on the phonograph
could be heard quite clearly in the street.  Onnly one complaint resulted:
The Russian called Sheridan and asked him if he could turn the music up just
a little louder, as he was having trouble hearing it over the traffic, and
he didn't have that particular recording of Wagner.....  We all got a good
laugh out of that one.

At work one day somebody in the department had their desk radio turned up a
bit, thinkign everybody else wanted to hear the song playing at the time.
(It was her favourite, so she thought it was everyone else's as well.)  I
popped in my CD of Florence Foster Jenkins and turned that up.  When there
was a protest over that "noise,"  I simply stated that if they can turn up
their noise for everyone's hearing, so can I.  The other radio got turned
down immediately (with apologies), after which I turned mine down, and
replaced Florence with some quiet Vivaldi (turned quite low).

> One day I got sick of
> the music when he decided he wanted to play his music from his stereo
> system from inside the house so it could be heard outside.
> I happened to have the 1812 Overture on my CD system (cannons and bells
> as well) and I turned it full bore and let it play through. I have not
> had any real problems with him since. I know know this is a rotten way
> to treat classical music, but it worked.
>
> Linda McCrae
> Frankston Victoria

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED]