I just finished a very depressing book for our August Library Book Chat-- "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry. Two months ago we read "The Corrections" by Jonathan Franzen and most of us thought that was not not worth the time it took to read it. A little web research shows that these were "Oprah" recommendations. A recommendation by Oprah is not a prereq for a book to be selected for our group, and in fact, I have read a couple that appear on Oprah's list that I would also recommend; to wit, Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen, Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

But in my web search, I also found reference to the "misery index" of Oprah books, and I think that the crux of my problem. I would like to find some books that have some meat, (unless they are just plain fun), but aren't such downers.

What I am hoping is that some of you might list a few books that you have read over the years that stick out in your minds as having been worthwhile.

My own favorites include Kingsolver's "Poisonwood Bible" and "Prodigal Summer"; Anne Tyler's "Patchwork Planet", "Back When We Were Grownups" and "Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant", "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier and books that are more fun -- John Grisham, esp "The Brethern". I thought Ayn Rands books were worthwhile (albeit that was years ago); and I enjoy Jeffery Archer in any form. I am especially fond of an old book by Michael Gilbert called "End Game" - which would probably be called a mystery.

Any help greatly appreciated. I will tabulate and publish results if there is any interest.

Susan Webster
Canton, Ohio
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED]