> Main Entry: mug·wump
> Pronunciation: 'm&g-"w&mp
> Function: noun
> Etymology: obsolete slang mugwump kingpin, from Massachuset mugquomp,
> muggumquomp war leader
> Date: 1884
> 1 : a bolter from the Republican party in 1884
> 2 : an independent in politics
> So, now, we *both* are keen to know...
> 1) Are you familiar with the word (and how/from whom did you learn it)?

Familiar ? No - learn ? no ...

> 2) What does it mean to *you*?

Not much in *this* century.

> 3) Where are you in the US (or,
> where did your source come from)?
> Tamara P Duvall

My 'source' was the only book with one
h__luva lotta references to politics that
I have ever been able to slog through -
" . . . And Ladies of the Club" - but I did !
and that, incidentally, I have been
'pushing' on this list because it's *such*
a good show-and-tell of the *variety" of
woman-characters/lives starting in 1868
through three generations into the 1900's.
The author, Helen Hooven Sant Myer has
written another/*better* "Gone With the
Wind" and has not, as far as I can tell,
ever received the credit for it that she
earned and deserves. Is it an epic ?
Maybe not, but then, what do I know ?

Toni in Seattle
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED]