In a message dated 8/24/03 8:57:18 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I've not heard of the Mediterranean people having
that problem, but several of my Afro-American friends have reported
identical "sightings" -- their babies had to be brought up on
buttermilk or else soy/rice stuff... >>

I don't remember where I read this, but non-whites are far more likely to be
lactose intolerant than whites. I've never heard of differences in lactose
tolerance among different groups of caucasians. My husband (Polish ancestry) is
moderately lactose intolerant, as are my father and one of my brothers (Italian
ancestry). All three developed the intolerance in adulthood. My husband and
my father can eat ice cream, but my brother cannot. All can eat moderate
amounts of cheese. My brother can't tolerate cocoa made with milk, but can drink
cocoa from a mix made with water, even though the mix contains powdered milk.

Barbara in Rhode Island

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]