All this discussion of lactose intolerance has finally jogged a memory.  I
was doing some historical research relating to playing in the SCA (Society
for Creative Anachronism), and happened to pick up a book about food.  Now,
I don't cook, although I do bake, and one of the quotes that stuck in my
head was about milk.

The section I remember had to do with the switch made from keeping sheep
for wool, milk, and meat, to keeping cows.  And it quoted a passage about
the vast quantity of milk given by cows as compared to ewes, with the
regretful note that it was a pity that cow's milk was "indigestible" for
adults.

This was a book about food in history, so they were talking about ?1500?s,
maybe ?1600?s.  I can't bring the title to mind.  Next time I go to my
library, I will see if I can find the book and find out how close my memory
is to the actual text.

Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]