On Sunday, Aug 24, 2003, at 18:28 US/Eastern, Jane Viking Swanson wrote:

Hi All, I got a neat booklet at a used book sale a few weeks ago. It was
printed in 1949 and intended for brides.

DH got married for the first time in '49 (the year I was born), but I guess his first wife wasn't fancy enough; I inherited all the table linens, and there was nothing like the profusion mentioned here. And the sheets were in a worse state -- not a single linen one... :) Me, I grew up with linen sheets, but, by the time I came here, they were not to be had in Poland, so none came in my dowry.

"Take for instance, sheets. There are, of course, linen sheets and pillow
cases, and you may want to have some. Plan these for your guest beds,
however, because unless you can change your bed linen with the luxury of the
modern hotel, you will find that linen sheets and pillowcases muss and
wrinkle very quickly."

<g> The way bed-linen was treated in Poland of my childhood and teens, even *cotton* creased easily, having been starched and mangled to within an inch of its life :) We didn't change it daily (or even weekly; twice a month was the "rule") for family use, but you could *never* re-use the same set for guests and get away with it... :) Some of my visitors will -- after a single night at the "Hotel Duvall" -- make up the bed, to make it look like it's fresh; the modern sheets, the modern laundry, and the daily showers make "recycling" possible. But I still gag at the thought, strip and launder the lot as soon as they're gone, and make a mental mark to never visit them :)

-----
Tamara P Duvall
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lexington, Virginia,  USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]