Hi All,  I got a neat booklet at a used book sale a few weeks ago.  It was
printed in 1949 and intended for brides.  The part on "A Modern Hope Chest"
is quite interesting.  Here are the linens every woman should have in her
hope chest:

1 very large tablecloth and 2 dozen matching Damask napkins.

2 medium cloths and 2 dozen Damask napkins to match.

6 smaller tablecloths (everyday use) and 6 dozen napkins, Damask or printed
linen OR
6 doilie sets, or a little of both

2 luncheon cloths and matching napkins

2 luncheon sets - centerpiece and doilies

2 dozen small napkins to match

6 tray cloths for breakfast trays and 1 dozen napkins.

4 afternoon tea cloths and 4 dozen tea napkins.

1 silence cloth to use under damask tablecloths.

The book goes on to say "linens" is a generic term now and a good linen
closet will contain as much fine cotton as it does linen.  And I quote:
"Take for instance, sheets.  There are, of course, linen sheets and pillow
cases, and you may want to have some.  Plan these for your guest beds,
however, because unless you can change your bed linen with the luxury of the
modern hotel, you will find that linen sheets and pillowcases muss and
wrinkle very quickly."

It goes on to say that if you have a "de luxe" hope chest you may have some
sheets of crepe de chine!  Percale is recommended but muslin sheets will
suffice for the servants!

I'm used to reading such long lists of linens in the magazines circa 1900
but this was the year before I was born.  That's a lot of linens,
particularly napkins!  And I'm so pleased with the cotton "sateen" sheets
I've just discovered <VBG>.

Jane in Vermont, USA

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]