Didn't they have hoops under their skirts (in the US) from about the
very late 1850's to about mid to late 1860's?  The Antebellum period?
(Scarlet's dresses during the Civil War era?)  Seems like they may have
been a couple of years earlier in Europe, as it might have taken some
time for fashions to cross the atlantic.

I'm not an expert, but that's just my vague notion.

Cheers,
Helen, Aussie living in spectacular Denver