On Friday, Oct 31, 2003, at 19:20 US/Eastern, Helen Bell wrote:

All the moisture we've had the last day or so has frozen around the
trees, and it looks lacey. What's really cool is that some trees are
bare, some still have yellow or red leaves and some are still green, and
they're all covered with ice. Each blade of grass is defined by ice,
and it's really pretty.

Enjoy! I've enjoyed the last two days -- back to sunshine and "room" temperaturess (68-70) -- but I've never lost the wonder/awe about the world edged in icy "lace"... We don't get much of it here but, if I were to choose my own version of Paradise (fat chance, given my beliefs/lack of them <g>), it would be short-sleeves weather (but *dry*, pretty please; I'm sick of humid <g>) 10:00-20:00, and frosty the rest of the day/night...

In Poland, we used to get a lot of frost, but it usually came "on time"; after the plants had shed their flowers and leaves. Here, it's the same, though it happens less frequently; the premature frost is almost unknown... But, there's been at least one time, when everything went white with ice overnight (or black -- take your pick. The electricity went out, because the ice on the wires broke them <g>), and even the most mundane bits of it became a veritable wonderland...

Happy Boo day!

Very happy indeeed! It's almost time to turn the porch lights off (as it's 21:15), and we've only had two batches of "looters". That, despite the fact that the neighbourhood seems to be "reviving" -- there are more children around (in the daytime -- riding bikes, walking to and from school) than I can remember in all the 30 yrs I've lived here. We used to have many more trick-or-treating visitors when it was all retirees! <g>

At any rate, Severn and I will be eating candy for the next 12 months; I got ready for an onslaught which didn' materialise...

-----
Tamara P Duvall
Lexington, Virginia,  USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland