I can't say that I've actually noticed that people pass each other on a
particular side, but in all the schools I've been in it's keep left. We
drive on the left, and I understand the reason is historic - whether on foot
or on horseback, the sword was always hung on the left side and
drawn/wielded in the right hand. So if you approach someone and keep to the
left of them you are always in a position to draw your sword with your right
hand and fight. Keeping left became the custom and we still drive on the
left, enabling us to stick our hand gestures out so that an oncoming
motorist can see them!!!

When waking on the pavement (sidewalk) it always depended on traffic and
weather conditions. A man always used to take the road side of the pavement
to protect a woman from traffic and water sprayed by traffic, whether he was
walking alongside her or passing her in the opposite direction. That doesn't
happen much now, and what actually happens isn't something I've studied.

Jean in Poole