alice howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It's beat into our heads from the time we can walk -- stay to the right.
Walking in a crowded hallway, up a stairway, touring a museum, etc etc --
we are constantly told "Keep to the right". It's the polite way to progress
in a busy situation.

It's probably a result of the same process that determined the road
etiquette, rather than being a result of road rules. Just a thought, not
confirmed history.

Well, here in Australia, we drive on the left-hand side of the road and at
school we were taught "keep to the left".  The footpaths in the central
business district of  Sydney, when I arrived here, sported painted signs "keep
to the left" and the moving staircases in the major shops still show signs
which say:  "keep to the left so that others may pass".

All of which would seem to indicate that the etiquette for walkers is related
to the local road rules.

Ruth Budge (Sydney, Australia)