<<I did eventually learn that if north was up on a map, west and east
spelled "WE" . . .>>

I learned that too, but I still have to stop and think about it.  If I run
down to the Tube in a hurry, and am faced with a westbound and an eastbound
platform and a train on one of them, and have to make a quick decision about
which direction I'm going in, I always have to think - it's never
instinctive like north/south is.  I mostly recognise that Hammersmith and
Heathrow on the list of destinations means west, and the places I've never
been to are east.  But I don't have any problems with left and right.

Does anyone have problems with north/south?

Regards,
Annette, London