Dear Tamara, and Lacemakers,

> On Monday, Nov 10, 2003, at 22:47 US/Eastern, Ruth Budge wrote, in
> response to Linda Walton's:
> >> trouble remembering which were the x and y axes when drawing a graph
> >> - until
> >> someone explained to me that "x is a-cross".
>
> OK, I'm *still* clueless... :)  A cross goes both north-south and
> east-west (up-down and left-right. Or vice versa; don't try to get me
> any more confused than I already am <g>). An X (which I do recognize as
> denoting a cross), *still* goes in *four* directions, if askew... So,
> how does it help for drawings, to know that a cross is also an X?

I'm sorry - I should have made this more clear.

It's a play on words:-
although it does mean that "X" is cross-shaped,
it also means that the x-axis goes across
(that is, the y-axis goes up-and-down).

Hope that helps.  It's difficult for me to explain these things without
waving my hands about, or drawing a picture.

Yours sincerely,
Linda Walton,
(in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, U.K.,
where we've woken up to yet another morning of Autumn fog).