It was originally a Latin scribal abbreviation for "ad" (= at), often occurring in
lists of prices. So calling it an at sign makes a lot of sense. But I like the idea of
calling it a cinnamon roll or a snail!   (The ampersand  & also began life as a
scribal abbreviation -- for et (Latin for and), and if you make a sort of open rounded
E with a long, upswinging bottom stroke and then cross the tail to make the t, you can
see how it evolved.)