Hi Carol -

I wouldn't say it's a "common" phenomenon for things to sell
for higher than retail on ebay - but it's not unusual
either.  I think a lot of people who get interested in
bobbin lace are in remote areas and aren't really aware of
the resources on-line for ordering supplies.  It continues
to surprise me how many people know enough about computers
to bid on things on ebay, but not enough to shop for
resources and know the real value of what they're buying.

The bottom line is that if you have a surplus supply of
lacemaking equipment that you don't want, ebay is a good
place to sell it.  If you list your pillows, be sure to be
specific about size, composition (foam? straw? wool?)  and
maker (if you know that info...)  The more information
buyers have, the more enthusiastic they are with their
bidding!  And don't forget that a good clear picture is
essential.  If you're nervous about the chance that a pillow
will sell for far less than it's worth, then by all means
put a "reserve" on it, or at least put your rock-bottom
price as the starting bid.  I've noticed that a low opening
bid with a reserve will sometimes attract more bidders than
a higher opening bid with no reserve.

The very best advice I can give you is to watch similar
items for a while before you post anything, to get an idea
of the prices they are bringing, and to see the best
strategy for posting.

Good luck!!

Clay