At 09:54 AM 5/24/2004, you wrote:
What are some traditions related to Memorial Day?

The traditional USA Memorial Day is May 30th. Our commercially-wise government decided 3-day weekends were desirable, so changed several holidays to always be on a Monday, thus -- 3 day holiday weekends. And this year, Memorial Day Monday is a week away, May 31.

I think the younger generation has lost the original meaning of the day. It is a day off work, and a long weekend, that starts the summer season. Many people in this area choose that weekend to go on the first camping trip of the season. (Which usually means camping in the rain.)

Family graves are decorated -- all ancestors, not just war dead. Military groups do have memorial services. ( I have only one grave to do. The rest of the family are too far away. My brother gets to do them.) I'll try to decorate my family grave on Thursday or Friday, before the crowd shows up on the weekend.

For me -- it's mostly a normal weekend. DH works at a store that is open all the time, so will probably work all three days. Since it includes the last Saturday of the month, that's Lace Meeting day. (!!!!)

The first half of the weekend is supposed to be damp, but Monday should be nice. Maybe I can pull a few weeds in my garden, or something, outside. Then enjoy my lace pillow part of the time.

Have a nice end of May, whether you have a holiday or not.
Alice